Sagaing Region peace-making group holds peace talks with NSCN (K)
Sagaing Region peace-making group and Naga armed group-NSCN (K) pose for documentary photo after peace talks
11 April 2012 - At the peace invitation of the government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, armed national races groups have been holding peace talks with the government, at respective regions.
Under the arrangement of Union level peacemaking group, a five-member peace-making group led by Leader of Sagaing Region Peace-making group, Region Minister for Security and Border Affairs Col Kyi Naing and a seven-member Naga armed group NSCN (K) led by Leader of Peace-making group Y Wantin Naga made peace talks, at Station Hall, Khamti of Sagaing Region on 9 April.
At the talks, delegates from both sides had a cordial discussion on peacemaking matters. Both sides signed a five-point preliminary agreement in the presence of Sagaing Region Chief Minister U Tha Aye, and exchanged the document.
The five-point preliminary agreements reached at the talks are: -
(1) To stop fighting between the Tatmadaw and NSCN (K) as of 9 April, 2012.
(2) To open liaison office of NSCN (K) at Khamti agreed by both sides for discussions, liaison and talks.
(3) To make prior coordination for travelling with arms beyond the places agreed by both sides during the ceasefire
(4) To allow NSCN (K) to travel freely in the country without arms during the period of ceasefire.
(5) To hold continued discussions between the peace-making group of Union government and NSCN (K) peace-making group for peace and stability and development of Naga region, at both side-agreed place and time.
After the meeting, the Region Chief Minister presented gifts to members of NSCN (K) peace-making group. After that, both sides presented gifts each other and took documentary photo taken.